Pearson Edexcel International GCSE – November Series from 2023Editor
Here at Tutors & Exams we aim to keep you informed of any changes to assessment that impacts on candidates, particularly those studying independently or via a third party learning providers. This recent announcement from Pearson Edexcel extends assessment opportunities for those studying International GCSEs, replacing the existing January series with a November series featuring a broader range of subject examinations.
Pearson Edexcel are introducing a regular International GCSE November series, first running in November 2023. This series is being introduced to best meet the needs of students requiring International GCSE exam opportunities outside of the full May/June series and it will replace the existing January series.
Pearson are aware that many candidates will still want to sit International GCSE exams between May/June 2022 and May/June 2023 so the January 2023 series will still run, but will be the last January International GCSE series.
Why are they moving to a November Exam series?
– Due to the pandemic, circumstances meant that Pearson Edexcel needed to follow a November International GCSE exam series for the past two years.
– As the November series seemed to be well received, they consulted schools to understand whether there was a preference for a permanent November exam series or reverting to January.
– November was the preferred option for most schools – not just for resits, but also for learners studying on a January-December academic year.
– To best meet candidate needs in this series, Pearson are expanding the range of subjects offered compared to the January series. So, there will be 24 subjects available in the November series from 2023.
– Please note that there will be NO November series in 2022, so that we have sufficient time to transition to the new November series in 2023.
– To confirm, the January 2023 series will be the final January series available for International GCSE.
– The new November series will not require R papers. Instead, exams in this series will predominantly be scheduled in the AM slot (GMT) to ensure that centres can run exams at reasonable local times.
We will be also be happy to answer any further queries you may have in the transition to using the November International GCSE series.